top of page

Driver's License

Hamlin County Driver's License Station:

By Appointment Only for Renewal of a Driver's License Only!  Please call (605) 783-3206  

No Driver's Test is Available at this location.  Applicants will have to make an appointment at a State Examine Station in Watertown at 2001 9th Ave SW, Suite 100.  For questions please call 605-773-6883 (all calls go to Pierre Central Office).  Examine Station in Watertown is open from 7am to 5:30pm, Tuesday - Friday, except holidays.  To set up an appointment for the Watertown Examine Station, please click here. 


NOTICE:  Renewing your license, you will only receive a paper license and a hard license will be mailed to you by the state.  If you want a hard license right away, please make an appointment with the State Examine Station. 


Driver's Licensing Fees (Cash or Check Only):

$28.00 - Class 1, 2, & 3 licenses or renewal

$28.00 - Identification card

$33.00 - CDL renewal

$15.00 - Duplicate License

$28.00 - Upgrade to Restricted


Anyone under the age of 18 will need a parent or guardian to sign the licensing application.


Hamlin County Register of Deeds is Unable to:

  • Issue drivers license to ALL out of state transfers to South Dakota

  • CDL & Motorcycle Testing

  • CDL conversions or hazardous materials endorsement

  • Non-Citizen applicants with US Citizenship & Immigration documents


For any of these situations, you will need to visit the Watertown or Brookings State Driver's Licensing Exam Stations. Questions may be directed to the state driver's license headquarters in Pierre at 1-800-952-3696.


Documents Needed When Applying for a License:

We will only be able to process your application if you have the following documents (this applies to everyone applying for a new, renewal or duplicate* driver license or ID card). We cannot accept photo copies. You will need a minimum (married women or anyone who has changed their name will need more) of 4 documents to receive a driver license or ID card. Please read carefully:


MUST HAVE ONE document to prove identity, date of birth, and lawful status:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by state or county (no hospital birth-certificates)                                                   

  • Valid unexpired U.S. passport

  • Certificate of Naturalization   

  • Certificate of Citizenship

      * Non-Citizens Need:

  • Valid unexpired permanent resident card

  • Valid unexpired employment authorization document

  • Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-9


Anyone who has changed their name since birth (and does not have a valid U.S. Passport in their current name) needs to show proof of the name change(s). Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate (issued by a state vital records agency), a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change (such as a divorce decree). If you have been married multiple time you will need to provide proof of all name changes (unless you have taken back your maiden/birth name or hold a valid U.S. Passport).


MUST HAVE ONE document to prove Social Security number: The documents below are the only ones we can accept for proof of Social Security number (the document must include name and full social security number). Please do not ask us to accept anything other than the documents below:

  • Social Security card (we cannot accept the Social Security stub)

  • W-2 Form

  • SSA 1099 Form

  • Non-SSA 1099 Form

  • Pay stub (must include name and social security number)


MUST HAVE TWO documents to prove your residential/physical address: A parent's proof of address is acceptable for a minor child. Proof of address documents may not be more than one year old. Please bring two of the documents listed below (each must contain your name and current address):

  • Utility bill

  • Credit card statement

  • Pay stub or earnings statement

  • Rent receipt

  • Phone bill

  • Transcript or report card from an accredited school  

  • Bank statement

  • Mortgage document

  • Tax document

  • Homeowners/renter's insurance policy

  • Other items with your address can be reviewed by Driver Licensing personnel

  • If you are unable to provide proof of residency, please call 1.800.952.3696 or 605.773.6883 for exceptions.

  • Post Office Box addresses are acceptable in areas not assigned a street or 911 address


If you have been issued a South Dakota driver license or ID card since 12-31-09 (or an out of state driver license or ID card that is federally compliant) and you still have possession of that driver license or ID card, U.S. citizens only need to provide their federally compliant driver license or ID card and two proofs of residential address. Non-citizens must also show a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration document authorizing their presence in the United States.


For more information, please visit this the SD Dept of Public Safety website.

bottom of page